Mid-Span Support Posts Installed for Atlanta, GA, Homeowners
If the floors in your Atlanta, Georgia, home are sagging or if they bounce when you step on them, this is an indication that the floor joists are not properly supported. This could be because the joists themselves are too small for the distances they span, or because their mid-point supports have sunk or are missing altogether. Either way, the specialty home improvement experts at Engineered Solutions of Georgia can remedy this problem by installing mid-span support posts.
Mid-span support posts, also commonly called crawlspace stabilizers, are adjustable metal rods that are installed in a crawlspace beneath a house to:
- Support under-designed floor framing systems
- Lift and secure floor framing that has settled over time
- Support additional loads imposed by home additions
We will start by excavating a code-compliant engineered footing. Next, we will install steel reinforcing bar in the excavation and pour the footing using concrete that is rated at 3500-psi concrete (we never use prefab deck footing when installing mid-span support posts because they are not code compliant and cannot always hold the loads imposed by a typical residential house.) After that, the 3-inch steel support columns are cut to length and put in place using top caps that are attached to the framing, bottom plates that are anchored to the footing, and screw adjusters that we will manufacture specifically for your support posts. Lastly, the load is transferred to the support posts. In some cases, a lift is also performed to bring the house back to a level position.
Having mid-span support posts installed is a great option for reinforcing floor joists because they:
- Are less expensive and more effective than the block columns used before steel support columns became the industry norm
- Can hold a load in excess of 40,000 pounds
- Can be custom manufactured to any size needed
- Are code compliant and recognized in the engineering and home inspection community as being the best floor framing support
- Do not require shims, meaning they can be infinitely adjusted
To learn more about having mid-span support posts installed at your home in Atlanta or a surrounding area, contact Engineered Solutions of Georgia today.